Call Us Now: 1.888.OK GLENN | Translate

What is a Flood Elevation Certificate and Why Do I Need One?

What to Know About Renters Insurance #RockTalk
May 14, 2018
Service Line Coverage
July 1, 2018
Show all

What is a Flood Elevation Certificate and Why Do I Need One?

Did you know that flood damage isn’t covered under homeowners insurance?

To protect your home and belongings against floods, you need flood insurance. To qualify for flood insurance, you need an Elevation Certificate (EC) from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

An EC documents the elevation of your property’s structure in comparison to the Base Flood Elevation (BFE). BFE is the elevation that floodwaters are estimated to have a one percent chance of reaching or exceeding in a given year.

Criteria listed on an EC typically includes:
• Location of your building
• Lowest floor elevation
• Building characteristics
• Flood zone

In most cases, the higher your lowest floor is above the BFE, the lower the risk of flooding, and the lower your flood insurance premiums are!

In the event you need an EC, we recommend you hire only licensed professionals who can take you through each step of the process. Only experienced professionals have the state-of-the-art technology and strict data quality standards to ensure the most reliable information for your EC.

Flood insurance and elevation certificates may seem daunting, but by using licensed professionals, you can ensure that the procedure is done correctly.

Glenn Insurance agents can answer any of your Elevation Certificate, flood insurance and other flood-related questions: https://glenninsurance.com/contact/

Contact Glenn Insurance today to help you through the process.

Comments are closed.